Recently, LTG was invited to a private event held in San Francisco at the Infusion Lounge. Western Digital was unveiling a new product line and we had the good fortune to be a part of this momentous event. Generally, Western Digital (or WD as we’ll call them from here on) is known for their dominance in the external hard drive market. However, they noticed that the existing home routers were lacking something, prioritization. Thus, enter in the new Wireless Routers from WD, especially the N900 with FasTrack.
WD performed extensive market research which included going into people’s homes to figure out what sort of home network is set up. They also noticed that a large percentage of the US population are starting to watch TV over the internet, users would look at their mobile phone or tablet in front of the TV and over 56% have a gaming console. This meant the standard home network setup is being overloaded. How would the router know what’s more important, gaming or Netflix? Skype or file sharing? WD’s new FasTrack Technology in the N900 allows the user to do just that, prioritize. (i.e. If I set it so Skype is the more important than using Dropbox, I’ll never have a spotty connection when we’re recording a podcast while uploading photos to Dropbox). They did reveal other wireless routers like the N600 and N750 but the N900 line is their bread and butter. Setting up is a breeze and can be done within minutes and it can also be done on an iPad. Like other high end routers, you have the ability to set up passwords for not only both WiFi signals but also setup a guest network.
So there you have it. A great event, awesome new products and some awesome parting gifts as well. All of the routers except the N900 Central are available today for purchase; the N900 Central comes out later next quarter. The N600 will be a generous price of only $69.99 and the N900 will be $299.99; the N900 Central will cost $349.99 when it becomes available for purchase.
WD ENTERS WIRELESS HOME NETWORKING MARKET, USHERS IN NEW ERA OF BLAZING FAST HD ENTERTAINMENT STREAMING
My Net™ Family of Dual-Band Routers with Exclusive FasTrack™ Technology Accelerate Video and Games using Intelligent, Real-time Entertainment Prioritization
IRVINE, Calif. – June 14, 2012 – Western Digital (NYSE: WDC), the world’s leader in external storage solutions and maker of the popular WD TV® media player family, today unveils its first line of wireless home networking products, designed specifically to accelerate movies, video and gaming, delivering a premium high-definition entertainment experience. With the My Net family of powerful and easy-to-use home networking products, WD debuts its exclusive FasTrack technology that instantly detects entertainment traffic on the network and fast-forwards it to gaming consoles, media players, smart TVs, tablets, smartphones, computers and other Wi-Fi connected devices.
“With so many people within the home simultaneously watching movies, playing games and browsing the Web via their iPad®, iPhone®, Xbox® and other devices, the network demands placed on todays connected home has grown exponentially,” states Jim Welsh, executive vice president for WD’s branded products and consumer electronics groups. “Our successes in creating Connected Home solutions with our WD TV media players and personal cloud products have given us valuable insights into the network-overload problems of home wireless users, and entering the wireless home networking market offers WD an exciting opportunity to strengthen our Connected Home offerings that are aimed at enhancing the home entertainment experience for consumers.”
According to Nielsen and NM Incite’s recent U.S. Digital Consumer Report, data from the fourth quarter of 2011 shows that 33 percent of consumers streamed a movie or TV show from the Internet through a subscription service such as Netflix™ or Hulu Plus™. Internet video services, multi-player online gaming sites, and live video chat services, combined with the explosive growth of tablets, smartphones and other devices that connect to the home network, have created a new model of home entertainment and Internet usage.
With the industry’s only full line of HD dual-band wireless N routers, My Net users can fully enjoy this new age of home entertainment. WD’s exclusive FasTrack optimization technology intelligently and automatically prioritizes Internet favorites like Netflix, Hulu Plus, VUDU, YouTube™, Xbox® LIVE, Skype™ and others, to create a smooth streaming experience in up to Full-HD 1080p quality. By using real-time analysis to maximize bandwidth for entertainment services, My Net routers provide a premium entertainment experience on any screen in the home that is connected to the router.
Streamlined Setup and Ease-of-Use
The sleek hardware design of the My Net family of routers is complementary to the devices’ friendly and intuitive user interface, which was designed by a veteran team of developers to enable quick router setup from wireless or wired devices such as iPad and other mobile devices, as well as PCs and Mac® computers. The streamlined router setup is designed to make it easy for novice users to be up and running in minutes, while also providing all the customization tools expert users crave. The included My Net Dashboard makes it easy for users to customize, monitor or change the settings of the network, including setting parental controls, Internet security, guest network access, network name and password, printer and scanner settings, and mapping storage drives, all in one easy view.
New Combination Router, Personal Cloud and Automatic Wireless Backup
In addition to getting a premium home entertainment experience with My Net routers, customers can centralize storage and backup for all the computers in their home, as well as create a personal cloud for their digital media and remotely access those files anytime, anywhere. Part of the My Net family, My Net N900 Central is WD’s all-in-one N900 router with an integrated 1 TB or 2 TB internal hard drive. Remote access to My Net N900 Central is available on any computer through www.WD2go.com and with WD mobile apps for iPad®, iPhone®, iPod touch® or Android™ smartphones and tablets.
In addition to keeping content safe at home and always accessible while away from home, users can rely on My Net N900 Central for automatic wireless backup with the included WD SmartWare™ software for Windows®, while Mac users can utilize all the features of Apple® Time Machine® backup software. Additionally, any WD external hard drive with SmartWare software can connect directly to a My Net router to wirelessly backup all PC computers in the home.
My Net Router Family
- My Net N900 Central – The My Net N900 Central HD dual-band storage router provides accelerated HD streaming plus integrated storage for wireless backup and remote access. With FasTrack Plus optimization technology, My Net N900 Central delivers high quality, accelerated HD entertainmentthat is intelligently and automatically prioritized to ensure smooth streaming. The Wireless-N storage router features fast wireless performance with speeds up to 900 Mbps (450 + 450 Mbps on the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands combined), as well as integrated 1TB or 2TB internal storage for automatic wireless backup. My Net N900 Central includes 4 LAN and 1 WLAN Gigabit Ethernet ports for up to 10/100/1000 Mbps wired speeds, 1 USB port for additional storage, printer and media share server use, and range amplifier antennas for extended range. Additionally, My Net N900 Central is Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) and Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) certified for easy detection and connection of Wi-Fi devices.
- My Net N900 – The My Net N900 HD dual-band router also provides a premium entertainment experience for movies, games, video, music, video chat and more. The My Net N900 offers the ultimate performance for all connected devices in the home, even while streaming to multiple devices at the same time. The exclusive FasTrack Plus technology provides intelligent, real-time traffic prioritization for simultaneous HD and 3D media streaming and online gaming. The Wireless-N router features high wireless performance with speeds up to 900 Mbps (450 + 450 Mbps on the 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands combined) and also includes 7 LAN and 1 WLAN Gigabit Ethernet ports for up to 10/100/1000 Mbps wired speeds, 2 USB ports for additional storage, printer and media share server use, and range amplifier antennas for extended range. Additionally, My Net N900 is UPnP and DLNA certified.
- My Net N750 – The My Net N750 HD dual-band router is optimized to deliver multiple simultaneous HD media streams on the network, delivering accelerated video to all connected wireless and wired devices. WD’s exclusive FasTrack technology detects entertainment traffic and prioritizes bandwidth on the network to smoothly stream multiple HD movies, shows, games and more to connected devices. The router provides a combined data rate of up to 750 Mbps (300 + 450 Mbps) and features 5 Gigabit Ethernet ports and 2 USB ports.
- My Net N600 – The My Net N600 HD dual-band router is ideal for simple and fast web surfing and entertainment streaming with FasTrack technology for a smooth HD viewing experience. The router provides an combineddata rate of up to 600 Mbps (300 + 300 Mbps) and features 5 Fast Ethernet ports with 1 USB port.
- My Net Switch – My Net Switch is an 8-Port Gigabit home entertainment switch, ideal for instantly expanding your wired connections with super fast Gigabit Ethernet up to 10/100/1000 Mbps.
|My Net Switch||My Net N600||My Net N750||My Net N900||My Net N900
|My Net N900
|$69.99 USD||$79.99 USD||$119.99 USD||$179.99 USD||$299.99 USD||$349.99 USD|
My Net N900, My Net N750, My Net N600 and My Net Switch will be available June 14 at select U.S. retailers and online at wdstore.com. My Net N900 Central will be available next quarter.
WD, a storage industry pioneer and long-time leader, provides products and services for people and organizations that collect, manage and use digital information. The company designs and produces reliable, high-performance hard drives and solid state drives that keep users’ data accessible and secure from loss. Its storage technologies serve a wide range of host applications including client and enterprise computing, embedded systems and consumer electronics, as well as its own storage systems. Its home entertainment products enable rich engagement with stored digital content.
WD was founded in 1970. The company’s products are marketed to leading OEMs, systems manufacturers, selected resellers and retailers under the Western Digital®, WD® and HGST™ brand names. Visit the Investor section of the company’s website (www.westerndigital.com) to access a variety of financial and investor information.
This press release contains forward-looking statements, including statements relating to expected availability dates for My Net family of routers. These forward-looking statements are subject to risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed in the forward-looking statements, including changes in markets, demand, global economic conditions and other risks and uncertainties listed in Western Digital’s recent SEC filings, to which your attention is directed. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements, which speak on as of the date hereof, and WD undertakes no obligation to update these forward-looking statements to reflect subsequent events or circumstances.
Western Digital, WD, the WD logo, and WD TV My Net are registered trademarks, FasTrack and WD Smartware and are trademarks, of Western Digital Technologies, Inc. in the U.S. and other countries; Other marks may be mentioned herein that belong to other companies. Pictures shown may vary from actual products. Not all products may be available in all regions of the world. All product and packaging specifications subject to change without notice. As used for storage capacity, one terabyte (TB) = one trillion bytes. Total accessible capacity varies depending on operating environment. As used for transfer rate, megabit per second (Mbps) = one million bits per second
Western Digital product photos: http://wdbrand.com/
Product Spec Sheets:
Editorial review samples of the My Net routers may be requested via WD’s website: http://www.wdc.com/en/company/pressroom/eval_request.asp
 State of the Media: U.S. Digital Consumer Report, Q3-Q4 2011