On Sunday, AT&T will unlock any iPhones for specific customers. What about other carriers? We looked into it and it seems that Verizon does allow their customers to unlock their iPhone 4s as well. As a reminder, unlocking your iPhone benefits you internationally to use the local networks rather than roaming with hiked “per minute” costs. It does not allow you to use your American number while travelling overseas. But if you’re okay with that and you’re an existing “good standing” Verizon Wireless customer, you can unlock your iPhone 4s. Here are the steps:
1. Meet the following requirements:
* Must be a Verizon Wireless customer.
* The iPhone 4S being unlocked must be active on a Verizon Wireless line of service.
* The line of service must be active at least 60 days.
* The line of service must be in good standing for the past 60 days.
* Only one SIM Unlock per line every 10 months.
If you don’t meet one or more of the above requirements, call anyway. You may still get lucky.
2. Insert a foreign SIM into the SIM card slot on the side of your phone (only required to confirm that the unlock is successful.)
3. Call 1-800-711-8300 (Verizon Global Support) and ask the representative for a SIM unlock. Occassionally a representative may not know exactly what you are referring to; make sure you are not transferred to a different department. You are in the right place. Explain that they should have a walkthrough on how to do this, and that it allows for the use of local, non-Verizon SIM cards while traveling abroad.
4. Get confirmation from the rep that the unlock has been applied to your account, then check your phone to make sure it recognizes your SIM and can connect (if successful it will roam on AT&T, assuming you are calling from the USA.) You will NOT see an unlock confirmation in iTunes as that is for a factory-applied unlock only.
5. Enjoy your new unlocked iPhone 4S!
Sound simple enough? It really is. The only trouble that you might come across is trying to take the SIM card out. Tip: Unfold a staple and use it as your lever.