Polycom has earned its reputation as video collaborators and experts in unified communications but its best product is one that combines quite a bit of their products in a single room. After sitting in one of Polycom’s own demo rooms, the RealPresence Theater Experience is probably one of their most impressive products in the lineup.
The least expected features of the RealPresence RPX Theater is its flexibility. The furnishings that the package comes with seem deceptively integrated into the room when, in fact, they’re just set pieces that stand in front of the wall for quick assembly. Trek-like experience in minutes? “Pretty much actually,” said Ellen Topp. “It’s one of the set pieces that catch some of our visitors off guard.”
Assembling furniture isn’t exactly the kind of time any business has. More importantly, no one wants to mess around drilling into walls or, even worse dealing with building compliance issues.
The configuration I sat in was the full works – two elevations of seats creating a bleacher style setting. Think of it as a rounded courtroom joined up with another virtual setup around the world – in this case, Polycom Singapore. In the demo, Victor stood at the corner filming the presentation while I sat at the center. The large widescreen was the highlight of the demo as the participants that were communicated with are to scale. With the camera placed inside the center of the widescreen, participants can notice subtleties like glances and hand gestures directed at a particular person.
It seems trivial when described on paper, but when experienced, it’s no longer video conferencing but a virtual meeting.
From Polycom site:
- Lowest total cost of ownership and accelerated return on investment through breakthrough bandwidth management. Industry-leading support of the standards-based H.264 High Profile can save up to 50% of ongoing bandwidth consumption and cost.
- With up to 16 feet of seamless, cinematic video wall, every participant is shown in high definition, true-to-life dimensions.
- The Polycom RPX HD room environment is the only solution that enables you to see all participants in true-to-life dimensions whether they sit, stand, or move around the room—so they enjoy a truly natural and dynamic meeting experience.
- Combining Polycom UltimateHD™ technology, patented Polycom EyeConnect™ technology, and Polycom’s history and expertise in providing leading audio solutions, the Polycom RPX HD solution delivers superior visual, audio, and multimedia quality. When meeting participants can pick up every nuance of a conversation, see facial expressions, make eye contact, and read body language, your organization can improve team communications and collaboration.
- The Polycom RPX HD Suites are completely interoperable with all standards-based video conferencing products. This helps ensure that you can protect and maximize your capital investment and continue to use legacy video solutions as well as the latest high definition telepresence solutions.
- All-inclusive and multipurpose, every suite is a welcoming, luxurious meeting environment and includes furniture, acoustic treatment, and studio quality lighting. Every detail has been uniquely designed to provide a natural, meeting experience, allowing participants to comfortably remain in the room for one hour or all day. In addition, a Polycom RPX room can be used as a traditional conference room.
- A variety of conference initiation options gives you the flexibility to either completely self-manage your multiparty calls or choose the fully managed services of a VNOC for scheduling and launching conferences.